The Municipality of Bifrost-Riverton shares a landfill with the Town of Arborg that is operated by the BAR Waste Authority Co-op Inc. The landfill is located at NE 8-22-3E (Road 128N between Road 13E & Road 14E).
Hours of Operation
November 1st to March 31st Open daily from 11:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
April 1st to October 31st Open daily from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Closed for the following holidays: New Years Day, Louis Riel Day, Good Friday, Easter Monday, Victoria Day, Canada Day, August Civic Holiday, Labour Day, Thanksgiving Day, Remembrance Day, Christmas Day, and Boxing Day.
What is Accepted
Household Waste: Bifrost-Riverton & Arborg residents can dispose of household waste at no charge. When bringing your garbage to the landfill, you must provide a landfill attendant with your name and the location the garbage is coming from.
Hazardous Waste: BAR Waste Landfill is a Household Hazardous Waste Depot. Consumers may drop off leftover consumer products in the following categories:
- Fuel cylinders
- Paint – including aerosols
- Flammable liquids – including aerosols
- Toxic materials – includes liquids and aerosols only
- Corrosive liquids – includes liquids, solids and aerosols
- Fluorescent lamps – compact fluorescent lamps (CFL) and fluorescent tubes
This program is designed specifically for consumer products only and does not take any product that is designed for industrial use (only exception is plain aerosols). For more information on what is or isn’t accepted, please contact the landfill at (204) 376-3431.
Used Oil Recycling: Used, uncontaminated oil, oil filers and containers are accepted at the BAR Waste landfill during regular hours. Residents are required to provide their name and address, and to sign the log sheet provided. Items and quantities being recycled must be identified on that log sheet. Please note that only certified municipal staff are allowed to empty containers into the oil storage tank.
Scrap Metal: Residents are required to separate scrap metal from regular refuse and will be directed to deposit it in the designated area at the landfill.
E-Waste: The municipality encourages responsible disposal of your e-waste, which is toxic when not disposed of in an approved manner. E-waste accepted at the BAR Waste landfill includes:
- Computer cables with or without connectors
- Computer cards such as sound, video, network, modems, controllers
- Circuit boards from computers, printers, fax and scanners
- Internal or external CD-ROM’s, DVD and CD-ROM Burners
- Electronic typewriters
- Hard disks (HD) and floppy drives (FD)
- Laptops, laptop parts
- Laptop accessories, chargers, batteries, cables and cards
- External modems
- Networking equipment, cards, hubs, routers, switches, cabling
- Personal computers (CPU, monitors, keyboards, mouse and peripherals such as printers, disk drives, etc.])
- Inkjet and Laser Printers, fax machines
- Software manuals, CD’s, DVD’s and Diskettes
- Cassette and reel-to-reel tape players/recorders
- Mobile radios and FRS phones
- Games decks such as Play Station, X-box and Nintendo
- Mobile (cell) phones, chargers and batteries
- Regular phones, corded or wireless; pagers and answering machines
- Stereos, televisions, entertainment equipment and their remote controls
- Batteries, dry-cell and rechargeable
- Paper shredders
- Humidifiers and furnaces
- Appliances such as stoves, microwaves, washers and dryers **
- Electrical equipment such as lawnmowers, panels, heaters, motors, chargers, drills, blowers, generators, wires and cables, etc.
**Appliances with compressors such as fridges, freezers, air conditioners, water coolers, portable fridges and dehumidifiers will not be accepted. Manitoba Hydro has a Power Smart Refrigerator Retirement Program, where qualifying customers can get their working fridges picked up for free and receive $50 for each unit recycled, please see Refrigerator Retirement Program for more information.
Garbage Collection – Riverton: Garbage is picked up in Riverton by Bardarson Enterprises. Residential garbage is picked up on Wednesday’s and Commercial garbage is picked up Wednesday’s and Friday’s.
Recycling: The BAR Waste facility has recycling receptacles at the site, or recycling can be taken directly to Riverdale Recycling Depot. The Depot is located on the West side of the Town of Arborg, #111 St. Phillips Drive, just north of Highway #68. Riverton has curbside recycling collection every Thursday, and recycling drop-off bins can be found along Briem Place. Due to ongoing staffing issues, the recycling collection will be reduced to every second week. The pick ups scheduled for the weeks of November 6/23 and November 20/23 have be cancelled. Please rinse all containers. The following materials are accepted:
- Aluminum cans, and tin cans (labels removed)
- P.E.T. plastic drink bottles
- Milk cartons, plastic jugs & juice boxes
- Oil containers #2 plastic (with caps on)
- Misc. plastics #2 - #5
- Newspapers, flyers, magazines & catalogues
- Glass & plastic liquor bottles
- Clear glass jars (labels removed)
- Boxboard (cereal, laundry soap, etc) and corrugated cardboard (brown cardboard)
For a list of plastic bag drop-off locations please see http://www.simplyrecycle.ca/.
The BAR Waste facility also encourages residents to divert materials from the landfill by donating their gently used and clean items. Organizations who accept donations include the Riverton MCC Thrift Shop (204-378-2967), the Arborg Support Centre (204-376-5066), the Canadian Diabetes Association, or another charity of your choice.