We ask that you please make an appointment with the Municipal Office to obtain a Marriage Licence, as not all staff members are able to issue them and the process generally takes about half an hour.

The Municipality of Bifrost-Riverton is registered with Vital Statistics to issue Marriage Licences in and for the Province of Manitoba.
•    You must get a marriage licence at least 24 hours before the marriage ceremony. 
•    The licence is valid for 3 months.
•    The fee for a marriage licence is $100.00 (payment options: cash or cheque).

Both parties must:
•    be 18 years of age or older*;
•    be single, legally divorced, or widowed**;
•    make a declaration that they are not related to each other;
•    be present to apply for a marriage licence and provide one of the following: Birth Certificate, Passport, Canadian or US Citizenship Certificate, Immigration Papers or Immigration Identification Card, Canadian Armed Forces Identification Card, Indian Treaty Card OR A driver’s Licence with one of the following: Manitoba Health Card, Senior Citizen Card, Change of Name Certificate, Social Insurance Card.

*Parental consent is required for persons under age 18.  Written consent of a Family court Judge is required for persons under age 16.
**Divorced persons must provide a Certificate of Divorce or Decree Absolute.  Widowed persons must provide a Death Certificate.

After your marriage ceremony, if you are living in Manitoba, you can choose to:
•    Keep your present surname;
•    Take your spouse’s surname;
•    Combine your present surname with your spouse’s surname, with or without a hyphen;
•    Assume your spouse’s surname and retain your present surname as a middle name.

If you were born in Manitoba and you change your name after marriage, your birth certificate does not change.

For additional information, please contact:

Vital Statistics Agency
254 Portage Ave
Winnipeg, MB R3C 0B6
Phone: (204) 945-3727  Toll Free: 1-866-949-9296
Fax: (204) 948-3224
Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Website: http://vitalstats.gov.mb.ca